Alexander sauce a creamy seafood sauce that goes very well with salmon and other seafood dishes. Try it with pasta.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper dash of cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup uncooked small shrimp
- 5 oz. white lump crabmeat
1. In large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter; add onion and cook until soft but not browned.
2. Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
3. Gradually pour in clam juice and cream; season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
4. In saute pan, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter; add shrimp; cook for 2 minutes; add crabmeat; cook an additional minute; stir into creamed mixture. Combine. Serve hot.