Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Roasted Red Onion and Garlic Mayonnaise
Serving size: 6
- 3 slices red onion (1/2-inch slices), roasted
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 loaf focaccia bread, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil, for marinade
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, grilled and sliced
- 5 portobello mushrooms, grilled and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, for sautéing
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 6 cups fresh spinach, cleaned
- 1/4 pound gruyere cheese, thinly-sliced
1. Garlic Mayonnaise: Cut top off garlic to expose cloves. Slice onion. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes. Add to basic mayonnaise and blend until smooth. Sandwich: Marinate the chicken and mushrooms in olive oil for 10 minutes. Grill over high heat, and then slice.
2. In hot sauté pan, cook garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add all the cleaned spinach. Compact the spinach, toss and stir. Cook just till wilted. lice Focaccia to form a top and a bottom. Lightly brush each cut side with olive oil. Place both pieces under your broiler so that the cut side is toasted.
3. Layer ingredients like spokes on a wheel. This spreads them out evenly so there’s filling in every bite. Start with chicken, then spinach, then mushrooms, and finally cheese.
4. After adding the cheese, run the sandwich under broiler to melt cheese. Add plenty of the mayonnaise and replace top. Serve by cutting into 6 pie-shape wedges.