- 1 lb small dry white beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup light (mild) molasses
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. Rinse beans with cold running water and discard any stones or shriveled beans.In a large bowl, place beans and enough water to cover by 2 inches.
2. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. (Or, in a 6-qt sauce pot, place beans and enough water to cover by 2 inches.
3. Heat to boiling over high heat; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.) Drain and rinse beans.
4. In 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 quart Crock pot, stir 3 1/2 cups water with beans and remaining ingredients except salt until blended.
5. Cover Crock pot with lid and cook beans on low setting about 14 hours or until beans are tender and sauce is syrupy. Stir salt into bean mixture before serving.