Cinnamon Melts Icing-topped cinnamon rolls for breakfast, brunch or anytime.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast 1/2 cup warm water (105 – 110 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar in warm water; let sit 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk and 1/3 cup melted butter; add eggs and salt. Add 1 cup flour; blend together. Add second cup of flour. Add proofed yeast. Using a wooden spoon, add another 2 cups of flour. Add more flour if needed.
3. Knead dough on lightly floured surface. Form dough into a ball; place in lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise in warm place for 1 hour.
4. Next, prepare the filling: combine brown sugar, cinnamon and 2/3 cup melted butter; set aside.
5. After dough has risen, punch down and roll out on floured surface to a thickness of ½-inch. Cut in ½- inch wide strips using a sharp knife or a pizza wheel. Slice strips into 3/4-inch to 1-inch long pieces of dough.
6. Grease large muffin tin cups with softened butter or margarine. Drop 6 chunks of dough into each cup; spoon 1 – 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon filling over dough; top with 7 more pieces of dough and sprinkle each cup with 2 more teaspoons cinnamon filling. Cover once again and allow to rise in warm spot for 30 to 45 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until a light golden brown. The bottoms need to be cooked.
8. While still warm, prepare icing. Mix butter and cream cheese, beating on high speed with mixer; add confectioners’ sugar and beat slowly until all incorporated. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon milk and vanilla; mix on high until smooth and fluffy. Spread about 1 tablespoon icing on each cinnamon melt.
Makes 1 dozen.